Sunday, April 22, 2012

Skin deep

We let beautiful people get away with murder, we buy over price cool looking gadgets, cloths, food etc. Businesses have long tapped into this very human tendency to go for packaging. Gyms sell the idea of personal reinvention, people let perfectly packaged humans walk all over them. Somehow the same standards don't apply, be it people or things. My Imac is not compatible with my external hard drive, it doesn't have a bloody backspace key, but who cares, I dont. I look it its aluminum body, beautiful screen quality and awesome sound and forget all about it, even as I write. I adjust, learn to work around that missing key, missing compatibility.

But I want to ask why god made us so shallow, why is pretty so important, why were we not created to look deeper than the skin. Darwin would say its an evolutionary advantage, you have greater chances of having offspring. I agree, but then why do we apply that logic to appliances. It has to be something deeper than that, or is it that simple. But then why is pretty not enough! why this mix, why not shallow through and through. Why do we realize with much delay it is not enough. If it was that then my Imac didn't need to have awesome sound and screen quality. just being an aluminum box is enough. I sometimes look at myself and see how I treat people differently, how my own standards change irrespective of gender. But as a saving grace I am much more nicer to my friends and I give them infinite chances. Somehow, friendship sails right through the skin and lands at the heart. If my friend doesn't wish me well, I will not put up with her nonsense simple. Somehow the way we behave with our friends, is the most rational we ever are, when you compare it with our behavior with strangers, people we like, our parents, etc. We are much closer to our ideal self when we are with our friends, no temper tantrums, a sea of understanding, nothing is too extreme. Maybe friendship is the most stable of human relationships, it gets ruined when other emotions - jealousy, love, ego etc enter. But despite that, it remains the most stable form. The skin of you friend doesn't matter, if  she or he has your back. Maybe we should turn all our relationships (parents, lovers, professional, religious) into friendships. Maybe then we would be nicer to other people, most importantly nicer to ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment