Sunday, June 16, 2013

Detachment logic

I had an office colleague who told me about detachment. Back then I remember looking at her and thinking this is nuts... I mean what is the point of going through life if you don't feel your emotions. I never understood it then. I remember saying how can you be detached from your mother. She said, "detachment doesn't mean you cant love her... just be detached". I never got it then. Now after my mother died, I realised its value, death is the ultimate form of detachment. The very fact that I can survive without my mother, is detachment. I realise now what detachment means, you can love someone but always know you will be ok without them. We are all, one complete person from birth to death, we don't need anything spectacular to happen to us, to become complete. Detachment is the best survival mechanism, sick people use it to survive by not getting attached to their bodies, which are failing them. People coming out of bad relationships, use detachment to move on. In misery its easy to be detached, because your present is so depressing, so is your past and the imagined future. Its difficult to attach yourself to anything during bad times, which kind of helps one to get a bigger picture. You are presented with do or die options and you have to choose the do option.

The trick is to be detached when things are going well, not to get attached to your job when you are doing well, not to become one with the person you just newly fell in love with. Because if you can achieve that all it means is that you are not diving in head first, you are ensuring your survival. Have you ever noticed when you read about suicides, they always describe the victims as full of life and high spirited. Maybe feeling every emotion too deeply is putting yourself in danger because life seems to be a process of purging. Every life crisis is about losing some attachment, be it loss of money, family, health etc. You name it, we all do and will go though it. Why we are subjected to it, I don't know. Why this miracle of life is this painful series of purging, I don't know.

1 comment: